Monday, September 15, 2008

IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL

When Peace like a river, attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot
Thou has taught me to say
It is well, it is well
with my soul

I chose this title for Gary's blog for several reasons. The main one being that it has always been his favorite song. The other is for my own benefit... to remind me, that no matter what the future holds for Gary, without a doubt, he and I know that it will be well with our soul.

After being in severe pain for almost a year now, slowly losing the use of his hand and then trouble with his eyes, on September 11, 2008, Gary was diagnosed with a rare form of lymphoma of the nerves, called neurolymphomatosis. Mayo Clinic has only seen 5 cases of this disease. Because of this, we will be staying here in Rochester, MN for his treatment.

Gary will go into the hospital on Monday to start treatment. Until I have a chance to talk more with the doctors, I am limited on my knowledge of what is going to happen.

I decided to make this blog so it would be easy for family and friends to find out what is going on and save me from repeating news. This does not mean I do not want friends and family to call or email, it will just help to give out information on the medical side so our conversations can be saved for news of home and how good God is.

And He is good. I am not happy with the diagnosis but I do know that we serve a mighty God and He is able to give me the grace and comfort when I need it. We have already received so many wonderful emails and phone calls from friends and family around the world that are praying for Gary. How wonderful is that!

This weekend, Gary's sister Tina flew up to see us. What a blessing that was. (Thank you Tina!) Having just received the diagnosis, it would have been a hard weekend for Gary and I. Having Tina here was just the distraction we needed. We took a drive to the Mississippi River and had a wonderful day viewing the countryside. Even though it was hard on Gary, he wanted to get out before being put in the hospital.

Monday morning, Gary will see two different eye doctors. Then he will see his doctor and be admitted into the hospital to start treatment. He will have to stay in the hospital for a week. Have a week off, then back in a week, etc. This will not only be hard on Gary and I, but for our family and especially our children. Becky and Brian will not be able to be near us at this time since we are staying in Minnesota. At this time, Sandra is in the Philippines and will be travelling back with Gary's parents in October. Please keep them in your prayers as well.

Thank you for your prayers! You can reach me at 918.814.7184 or email bamaw5@yahoo.com.ph

11 comments:

  1. Joining many others in prayer. I personally know what the prayers of God's people mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are both in our hearts and prayers right now. Miss you! - Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will continually pray for all of you. Missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you both so much and know this will only make us stronger... you can do this Dad!!! Wish I was there:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this song by Nicole Mullins..When I Call on Jesus. Praying for you guys.

    I'm so very ordinary
    Nothing special on my own
    I have never walked on water
    I have never calmed a storm
    Sometimes I'm hiding away from the madness around me
    Like a child who's afraid of the dark

    But when I call on Jesus
    All things are possible
    I can mount on wings like eagles and soar
    When I call on Jesus
    Mountains are gonna fall
    'Cause He'll move heaven and earth to come rescue me when I call

    Weary brother
    Broken daughter
    Widowed, widowed lover
    You're not alone
    If you're tired and scared of the madness around you
    If you can't find the strength to carry on

    repeat chorus

    Call Him in the mornin'
    In the afternoon time
    Late in the evenin'
    He'll be there
    When your heart is broken
    And you feel discouraged
    You can just remember that He said
    He'll be there

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how the Lord brings me across people's blogs and then gives me the privilege of praying for them! Your testimony will be so powerful in the coming days as medical personnel will be watching your reaction to the physical news of this disease. I think the title of your blog is perfect! It was the first song I ever sang in church after getting saved. No matter what happens to us on earth, we have a destination in Heaven with our Heavenly Father. YES MA'AM! God is GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. truly difficult. He is like a dad to me. But nevertheless, it will be well with our souls! We are with you in prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying daily for Gary and you.
    Thanks for setting up this blog so that we can stay up dated and know how to pray for you. There is also a free one called "Caring Bridge" it is an awesome tool as well to keep people up to date.
    We just sang this song, It is well with my Soul, on Sunday. I was actually praying for you both as I was singing. Don asked the church to pray for you and Gary and also stated that your words to me, when I was on the phone with you, were such a testimony. When I asked; "how can we pray for you?" You said to just "pray that Gary and I can be a testimony".
    In this journey God will use you both! Blessings and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Psalm 103:2-3 2 Bless the LORD, O my soul,And forget not all His benefits: 3 Who forgives all your iniquities,Who heals all your diseases,

    v.3 who heals all our diseases; ...what a comfort to know that we have a great physician who is both able and willing to heal us, he strikes at the center of the disease..never returns. When Christ heals He makes a new man of them. He is our Universal Doctor and the medicine He gives is the only true cure.

    Thank you for sharing this blogspot to me and please know that Pastor Gary's wellness is always in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heard the news from Pastor Lance yesterday and got here through Marissa. We are praying for you - me, my family and soon our other members from SBC Makati. We love you !

    Marriage and Beyond

    ReplyDelete