Saturday, December 13, 2008

RANDOM THOUGHTS

Sometimes, in my dreams, I dream songs. Has this ever happened to you? I think God brings certain songs to my mind as a way to bring comfort, remind me of a promise or just to bring a smile to my face when I awake. Sometimes the songs are not familiar, as if it is a new song that I am writing . Too bad I never can remember the melody or words clearly enough to write down once I awaken.

This happened to me last night. This time, I recognized the song and knew the words, so I ended up humming the melody all day today. This song is not one that I would have thought I would be singing in my sleep, but made me ponder on it today nonetheless. See if you can recognize it ....

"Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got. Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help alot. Wouldn't you like to get away? Sometimes you want to go.... Where everybody knows your name. And they're always glad you came. You wanna be where you can see, our troubles are all the same. You wanna be where everyone knows your name."-- Gary Portnoy & Judy Hart Angelo

Now, I could probably look into alot of reasons why those words would come to my mind, and some of you may frown at me, making reference to a song about a bar (TV show Cheers). The truth is, I recently have seen a new Dr. Pepper commercial that is using it, and I always laugh out loud at that. (I know... it doesn't take much.)

In spite of how the song is being used, it made me think of our life in the Philippines. Since being in the States for nearly a year now, we are very homesick for our home. One of the cultural adjustments we deal with, is always being stared at. It was very hard to get used to that when we were new missionaries, but now that we have been there 20+ years ... I kind of miss it. *sigh*

I have become used to walking into a restaurant and not only have everyone greet me, but they "know my name". When I go to a supermarket, the cashiers and bag boys will try to out do each other, calling after me in hopes that I will choose their lane. In the small provincial town we used to minister in, the policeman directing traffic near the main Plaza, would stop all the intersecting lanes to allow us to pass through .... every time. Even though I wouldn't seek out any special treatment, these acts do make me feel special.

So, I guess that is why the song came to mind... I miss being special. *embarrassed smile*

Come on, admit it.... wouldn't YOU like to go where "everyone knows your name, and they're always glad you came?" And like the Dr. Pepper commercial, everyone screamed and cheered and threw confetti? Well.... maybe not all that, but you get what I am saying. We all want to feel special and know that people are always glad we came. Just think what heaven is going to be like! The welcome crowd that we will see when we arrive! Who knows.... we might even get confetti!

3 comments:

  1. ha!! I've always thought of home when I hear that song!!! It's not the special treatment it's the comfort and familiarity of knowing your home.. It's good to have... But still can't believe your dreaming about songs about bars!!!!!!;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a twist...and I know you will agree...I have many of these moments...every single day...and they make me smile so big because it means that's one more soul, one more relationship I have established in the hopes of their soul turning towards Jesus. Girl, I know SO MANY people in this town and I totally get what you are saying. It's an awesome responsibility but at the same time, so comforting.
    I'm so sorry you are homesick. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know your name....Deloris! :)

    And....you are special!

    ReplyDelete