Tuesday, December 2, 2008

DECEMBER 2

We are back in Rochester, after spending a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend with all our family! I was not sure Gary should make the long trip, but he promised to rest as often as he needed to, and I am so glad we decided to go. We both needed the time away and to be with family. Thanksgiving is one of our favorite holidays. As missionaries, living outside of the States, we can appreciate and be grateful for the country that we were born into. It truly is a time of giving THANKS for all God has done for us!All our immediate family was present for this holiday and we had a wonderful time with them! Being with our children and grandchildren was the "shot in the arm" we both needed.
We shared the day with both sides of our family, Day and Phillips. My sister, Debi married Gary's brother Perry and since both our parents live in the same town along with another sister, we usually do our holidays together. I think sometimes, we forget who is on what side of the family. *grin* Everyone was present on both sides except for one nephew and his wife, who needed to be with her family this year. Two sets of grandparents, 8 children along with 7 spouses, 16 grandchildren with 2 spouses and 2 girlfriends, and 5 great grandchildren present. 40 in all!
Part of the tradition my sisters and mother have done every year at Thanksgiving, is head out to the stores on Friday morning. I have never been able to join in on this event, so even though getting up at 4am was totally against any common sense, I went. We had a great day just enjoying each others company!Several of the men decided they would go fishing and took my grandsons along with them. On the way home, my second grandson, Brandon said to his great-uncle Perry, "You know... my Mom, and your wife, and my Bamaw went shopping at 4:00 this morning! ... That's just stupid!" *big grin* But I wonder, who really was the smart ones? Those that went shopping, or those who braved the cold to go fishing with 4 little boys, two of which are of my blood and like to talk! *bigger grin* I love our family!

Even though Gary really enjoyed his time in Oklahoma, he was feeling bad the whole time. The pain in his right eye has been excruciating. I drove the 12 hours yesterday with him sleeping on a makeshift bed in the back of the van. It was a rough trip for him and so he is resting today. He needs your prayers. On Thursday, he will have a MRI done of his brain to see if there is something else causing the pain and will start the growth factor shots to prepare for harvesting his stem cells. My prayer is this transplant will take care of the cancer and he will not have to go through any more treatments after this!

No comments:

Post a Comment