Saturday, December 6, 2008

DECEMBER 5

Today, we received confirmation that the pain in and around Gary's right eye is the Lymphoma in the nerves. There are tumors in around the nerve bundle. This is the same as it is in his brachial plexus. I just can't quite get my mind wrapped around the idea that the chemo treatments Gary was receiving seemingly took care of what was on the left side of his face and now 3 weeks later, it is manifesting itself on the right.

The doctors started Gary on a treatment of Rituxin and a steroid, which they hope will also give him relief from the pain. At this time, they are still discussing among themselves the next best course of treatment. They are hesitant to give the Methotrexate for 2 reasons... 1 being that it is so hard on Gary's kidneys and 2, there is a national shortage on the rescue drug Loucovorin. They have other options with that, but because of Gary's past experiences, they do not want to take any chances. They are leaning toward giving him a chemo drug that is in pill form which he could take at home and then come in once a week for the Rituxin.

The main issue right now is giving him relief from the pain. I can't explain to you how bad he is suffering. It is very hard to watch and not be able to do anything. The drugs they are giving him in the hospital are helping take the edge off for a few hours and then he has to suffer for about an hour and a half before the next dosage takes effect. Hopefully the steroid they gave him tonight will start working. Until he is better with the pain, they will not release him.

I appreciate so much the comments, emails and phone calls from all of you letting me know you are praying. This afternoon I met another patient who was commenting that his treatments are going very well with his leukemia. He smiled and said, "But I have an amazing prayer support that would be the envy of all and that is making the difference for me."

I thought about that as I walked back to Gary's room. My first thought was, "well, WE too have an amazing prayer support and things are not looking so good right now." *with a slight tinge of sadness*. And then almost immediately God spoke to my heart. The thought came to me... Who is to say that all the prayers are not working? Without the prayers, Gary might be worse by now or even gone on to heaven. Why do we always think that when we get the answers WE want or things go how WE think they should go... that God answered our prayers? And when WE don't get what WE want, He didn't? God's plan may be different than our plan and it is all being worked out according to His purpose. For whatever reason, God in His infinite wisdom, has chosen to give Gary a terrible disease, and for whatever reason, He has chosen to not give us a quick "fix". What God wants me to do, is to rest in His plan and trust Him in whatever the future holds.

3 comments:

  1. Jeannie...there is NO REASON he should be suffering with any kind of pain for an hour and a half. THAT IS RIDICULOUS!! Please be his advocate...ask them for a break through pain medicine...he can be on two narcotics at once or even three...they just space them out not to slam him at once. I am so very sorry to hear this news. I cannot imagine what it must be like for you. I AM PRAYING FOR YOU!! I wish I could do more but Who better than the very One Who Created us! Hugs from OK!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanie...I would say AMEN to what you just shared about God answering or not answering our prayers. God is teaching you a lot of things in the school of life you would not learn in any other school. One day you may even write a book about it.

    God will not give you something you can't handle. Just keep trusting Him. Rina and I are praying for you and Gary.

    Rene and Rina Correa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jeanie, it breaks my heart to hear what you are going through. My flesh wants to snatch this pain away from you and Gary, but...my spirit is not so quick to deny you all that you are learning and experiencing. Sometimes the clouds of trials seem so dark, that it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel...sort of speak. What you have right now, is the most amazing presence of God. Something that He only gives in times like these. Soak it up, soak Him up. His strength is perfect, when our strength is gone. Remember that song? I pray for your emotional strength and physical strength. Along with Gary's healing and relief for his pain. I love you both!

    He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.
    Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall:
    But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles;they shall run, and not be weary and they shall walk, and not faint.

    Isaih 40:29-31

    ReplyDelete