Saturday, November 1, 2008

WHAT DO YOU SAY?

Recently I had a conversation with my sisters concerning communication. I had mentioned that since we found out Gary had cancer, we have had phone calls, cards and emails from friends and relatives we have not heard from in years and yet, those friends or relatives close to us, have not always communicated as much as we thought they would. One sister commented that many times people just don't know what to say. They are afraid to say the wrong thing, so they don't say anything at all. Or they think they have to say something profound or super spiritual. I understand this fully and probably have been guilty of this in the past myself. Yesterday, I was physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted. It is hard to see someone you love suffer and not be able to do anything to help. I wanted someone to talk to, but it was so late and I was afraid to call and wake someone up. To be honest, I would not have known what to say once that phone call was made. I just needed to cry. I arrived home, and in the mailbox were cards in the mail. One was from someone who has known Gary for many years. She wrote,

"I truly don't understand why these horrific physical challenges come to any of us.
I do know they remind us of how important people are to us
- not things of the world -
and how precious and even sometimes fragile our faith is.
We are praying for your healing
and for God to give you peace in your heart and mind
to know God loves you and cares about all you are going through,
for you to hang on to your faith even if it is minute by minute."
That was just what I needed to hear. That when things get rough, it is OK to take it minute by minute! You don't even have to take it day by day! It blessed me to read that she felt Gary was important to them. I am sure that our friend who wrote these words, probably thought they were nothing special, just something she was writing from her heart. Hey! That's it! .... What do you say?.... Say what's on your heart. If you don't know what to say, then just say .... "I don't know what to say". Just hearing that someone is thinking about you can be encouraging and uplifting. We appreciate more than you will ever know the many who communicate to us their thoughts and prayers! We are so blessed!

2 comments:

  1. You can always call me and wake me up:) Usually up anyway ha!! Back at work for a 20+ hr shift..wish I was there instead!!! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This thing won't let me post under anything else... so last one was from me.. your best daughter ever ha!!

    ReplyDelete